And that's not counting the books I have on my Kindle!
So I figured I better start cracking and get reading. And then I said the same thing to myself that I've said the past few years:
"I'm going to read a new book every week" or "every 2 weeks" or "every month."
And how many times have I stuck to that? NONE! To keep myself accountable and on target for this ambitious goal, I decided to start a blog.
Do I plan to read all of these books this year? HEAVENS NO! After all, I work from home full time and I have 2 kids. The little hope I do have is that I read more books last year than I have in a single year in the past. I read a total of 16 books last year. So I guess a reasonable goal for me will be more than 16 at this point. But...I reserve the right to tweak that goal at any given time.
Here's a little info on my reading interest. If they are similar to yours, feel free to check back. Or, if you want to see if I sink or swim in this endeavor, by all means, keep coming back!
- My favorite book of all times is To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a classic and a beautiful story, and the movie is a favorite of mine as well.
- My favorite author is Jodi Picoult. Even though I don't like every book she's written, I like her writing style, admire her ambition, and am always amazed by her creativity.
- I enjoy reading books that include some of my other interests: crochet, faith (in particular, Catholicism, but I enjoy many faith-based books), being Italian, food, and Chicago.
- I am a total sucker for bargain priced books. I can't help it. If I find a sale and books are really low priced, they end up on my shelf (leading to how I acquired over 300 books on my stuffed shelves). So if I happen to be reading something kind of obscure, this is most likely the reason!
Overall, I would consider myself to be an eclectic reader. I'm pretty much up for anything. However, I am normally a slow reader, so I hope that those who stick with me are patient. No matter how good my intentions and plans, sometimes God decides to put up a detour.
From time to time when I'm a little backed up in the reading, I'll talk about a past book I read and my thoughts on it.
Also, if I've gotten started on a series that has more than one book, I will try to work my way through those in a row. When you get on a roll, sometimes it's just easier to read them all instead of picking them up at a later time.
So what am I reading now?
I am actually reading two books at the moment:
- The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real (The Yada Yada Prayer Group, Book 3) by Neta Jackson
- Chicago: A Biography by Dominic A. Pacyga
Before I get back to reading, here are the books I read in 2009:
- Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul by Karen Abbott
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Yada Yada Prayer Group (The Yada Yada Prayer Group, Book 1) by Neta Jackson
- Handle with Care: A Novel by Jodi Picoult
- The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down (The Yada Yada Prayer Group, Book 2) by Neta Jackson
- Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult
- Hooked on Murder (A Crochet Mystery) by Betty Hechtman
- The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
- Doubt by John Patrick Shanley
- Dead Men Don't Crochet (A Crochet Mystery) by Betty Hechtman
- By Hook or by Crook (A Crochet Mystery) by Betty Hechtman
- Push: A Novel by Sapphire
- The Bunko Babes by Leah Starr Baker
- Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright
- The Christmas Lamp: A Novella by Lori Copeland
- The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
With just a few minutes left of the first day of the new year, I'm off to crack open a book and get reading!